16 June 2015

Review: The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B by Teresa Toten



The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B
Author: Teresa Toten
Publisher: Doubleday Canada, Walker Books
First published: August 27, 2013

Goodreads Summary:
When Adam meets Robyn at a support group for kids coping with obsessive-compulsive disorder, he is drawn to her almost before he can take a breath. He's determined to protect and defend her--to play Batman to her Robyn--whatever the cost. But when you're fourteen and the everyday problems of dealing with divorced parents and step-siblings are supplemented by the challenges of OCD, it's hard to imagine yourself falling in love. How can you have a "normal" relationship when your life is so fraught with problems? And that's not even to mention the small matter of those threatening letters Adam's mother has started to receive . . .

Special thanks to Bibliophile Soprano for lending me her copy!

Review:

Adam's life is full of drama. His mother has this hoarding problem. He has OCD. He attends a support group with other teenagers coping with . When he saw Robyn Plummer, the newest member of the group, he "fell in love" with her. He believes that he has to fix himself for her, protect her; be her Batman.

I started this book without much expectations, since the first time I heard about this was when my sister received it. The reading experience was wonderful. And oh, how much this book taught me about OCD. However, a tiny portion of this book bored me, particularly the Brenda-only parts, but no, not the with-Sweetie parts. Sweetie's so adorable. But when it's not boring, it's goooood. The title made me wonder why at first, but it was justified.

I was annoyed at Adam's Robyn obsession at times. Like he wants to kiss Robyn every.single.time.they.meet. But sometimes I could relate. I understand that feeling when you want to be better for someone you like. Also, I don't think that's love at first sight. It seemed like Oh My God She's So Gorgeous at first sight to me. 

And... I enjoyed Adam's The Lists! 

Now, Robyn- 11/10. I LOVE HER. She's my favorite character in this book. She's so chill, she doesn't overact, she's not annoying. One of the best YA characters ever. I liked how she reacted to Adam's lie. She wasn't like "Ha, I knew it, I was just waiting for you to tell me so I could ask you why." She appreciated it. And the Robyn (I'm assuming that's Robyn) in the cover is so beautiful!

Calling the characters in the support group with superhero names (well Snooki...)- I find it cute. That made the characters easier to remember.

The ending- ASDFGHJKL. It's great but it made me sad. When the first part of the "ending" happened, I was like NOOOOOO!!! STAWHP ADAM. But I wasn't disappointed. He did the right thing, but still. I can't explain without spoilers. Sorry.



RATING: 4.25/5



Never miss a post! Follow Celestial Pages on Bloglovin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will!