14 May 2015

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass


The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen (HarperCollins)
Publication Date: April 24, 2012

Goodreads Summary:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
 

Review:

This is the first YA book I've ever read, and I'm happy because I wouldn't be blogging without The Selection; I wouldn't go YA Romance-crazy, who knows?

In The Selection, Illea had this caste system with numbers representing their class: One being the highest, Eight being the lowest. The Ones were the royalties, while the Eights were the homeless. The possible jobs depend on their caste, like Fives cannot be models and Sixes cannot be singers. If two people from different castes marry each other, the girl joins the boy in his caste. That was America's problem. She needed to save up for her and Aspen (Six). Their relationship was sort of hidden. Her mother wanted her to join the Selection and told her she could apply for a job if she applied for the Selection. 

I didn't connect with America well in the first half of the book because I felt like she was too self-and-Aspen-centered. However, she got much better in the Selection. Now, Maxon, he is a very patient guy. In fact, most "patient guys" make it to my mental Favorite Fictional Boys (and Maxon made it!). Maxon is just soooo cute!


"One can never help being born into perfection." - America Singer

I love the lines! Points for all the quotes in The Selection. I don't really consider the thing I quoted  a quote, but it's possible to make a bookmark out of that.

The plot is very interesting, but it takes long to explain everything essential. The first few chapters were a blur, like "What are castes?" and I was confused with America being her name, and how she was a singer while her surname is Singer. My little confusion was one of the reasons why I kept on reading. And as I read on, feels started to grow. I started to ship Maxerica!

I recommend this book to people who appreciate romance stories of any age (this is pretty light).

RATING: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will!