17 May 2015

Review: The Heir by Kiera Cass


22918050
The Heir
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen (HarperCollins)
Publication Date: May 5, 2015

Summary:
Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible. 
But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests. 
Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.

Review:

I was so excited for the special international edition of The Heir that I asked my sister to buy it for me on the release date! (I'm just twelve, so I'm kind of not allowed to go to malls whenever I want/need to.) Thank you so much to my sister, Fay from Bibliophile Soprano! :)

I had fun while reading The Heir- especially on the middle parts. The first chapters bored me a little and I always thought: GIVE ME THE SELECTION PART ALREADY!.


Twenty years after something much more than happily ever after, (okay, I made a reference to The One: "This isn't happily ever after. It's so much more than that.") Eadlyn has to do her own Selection to please the citizens of Illea and distract them from all the riots and uprisings. Yes, rebel issues again. However, she doesn't want to.
I only have one heart and I'm saving it.
I found Eadlyn bratty, self-centered, and sometimes rude. She can be insensitive to Neena, her personal maid. I'm glad she's not like the younger America, who thinks excessively lowly of herself. In fact, Eadlyn thinks that she's the most powerful girl in the world. Eadlyn's reactions were natural for her character though.

I liked America's part of this series more than Eadlyn's, because the first three books were more serious- they're deeper. The Selected in The Heir doing tasks to prove they're worthy wasn't really shown. It was full of dates. Because it was full of dates, it was packed with feels! I'm Team Kile, by the way. AND I SHIP THEM SO MUCH. The sweet Kile moments- oh, they made me kick walls again.

I felt like Hale was supposed to be some sort of a significant part of the love polygon (love triangle with n people in it) but the spotlight seemed to dim earlier than I expected. Henri is kind and awkward, and I like him. For some reason, Erik made me feel like he wanted to be part of the Selection (but it feels wrong!).

I recommend this one to The Selection fans- and maybe the non-fans-yet too, because I felt like this was a new series, separate from The Selection.

RATING: 4.5/5


Liked this review? Follow Celestial Pages on Bloglovin'

2 comments:

  1. I liked this one too, and I think I like Eadlyn a lot more than I liked America. I know a lot of people completely hate Eadlyn, but I found her to be very similar to me - guarded and kind of standoffish.

    Erik made me feel like somehow he regrets not entering his name. I could see him being good for Eadlyn, but I think I'm Team Kile. I just think it would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I had negative thoughts on Eadlyn, but I like her more than I liked America too.

      #TeamKile

      Delete

Say what you will!